Saturday, July 16, 2011

July 16th, Saturday... Mt. Jali Again

[Jihye Moon, Missionary Bohye Kim and Hyeyoung Choi... me with the Kigali City in the background on the way down]

Mt. Jali is the tallest mountain in Kigali with its height at 1,866 meter from the sea level. We started our hike from 1,300 meter high.

For the second time, I climbed Mt. Jali today with three ladies. When I climbed it for the first time, I suffered greatly because the initial ascent was so steep that I could not keep up with the group at all.

This time, it was still hard to climb it for the first 30 minutes, but I felt a lot easier and more comfortable even with the initial ascent than before.

This is the sixth week in a row that I have been hiking at least once a week for longer than 4 hours. We have decided to climb it again next Saturday.

All these are part of the preparation for the "Hike Kilimanjaro 2011!" scheduled for August 28th. There are a little more than 40 days left before the D-day. I am planning to go for a 10-hour day hike to prepare better for the fifth day of the Mt. Kilimanjaro hike which requires a 13-15 hour hike including the summit attempt.

After the hike, I took shower and had a bowl of tempura udon that Kristin cooked. Fatigue made me fall asleep and it was the sweetest 2-hour nap that I had ever had in recent years. Thank you, Lord! - Jeffrey

4 comments:

Lala Koh said...

Wow! I'm interested in climbing mouuntains and Mt Jali sounds like a lot of fun. Is there any payment to climb it? Like Mt Kinabalu, I have to pay quite a price.

jlee80111 said...

No there is no payment to make. It makes it more attractive to climb. Are you in Kigali?

Lala Koh said...

Unfortunately I'm not. I'm in Malaysia now. How's Kigali by the way? We talk a lot about Rwanda here regarding international's conflicts.

jlee80111 said...

Kigali is beautiful and it is stable. In fact it is one of the safest countries in the world...