Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Search for New CEO at UOB...

Kristin and I arrived in Kigali on February 1st, 2009. It was the beginning of our journey into Rwanda, Africa and micro finance. It was quite a change from a banker in New York, running the US operations for the largest Korean bank, but the change was led by God Almighty.

From the next day, I have been leading UOB as CEO. It has been a wonderful blessing to be part of God's marvelous work to help the underprivileged people of Rwanda through UOB. There have been ups and downs, joy and sorrow, excitements and pains, honor and shame. But, throughout, we felt and witnessed God's presence in our midst. We experienced numerous times His miraculous provision that has been always gracious and sufficient.

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven." (Ecclesiastes 3:1) 

It is time for me to pass the torch on.

Since the board asked for a one-year notice, I expressed my intent to the board in March 2013 that I would like to step down as CEO as of February 1st 2014. By then, I will have served UOB for five years. There is no other reason for my departure than a family reason that requires a little more freedom and flexibility in my daily schedules. The board was graciously understanding and accepted my intent.

The board formed the CEO search committee in March and retained Half Time Talent Solutions as the search firm in June. The job description has been prepared and refined in July. The search process officially began in August and is currently under way.

Half Time Talent Solutions is a Christian faith-based organization that specializes in mobilizing and placing Christian professional men and women who seek significance in their lives rather than secular success. I am so thrilled that Half Time Talent Solutions has been retained as the search firm and I am fully confident that the good and faithful Lord will bring to UOB a successor who will take UOB to the next level.

The following is the official introductory description for the new CEO at UOB. Whoever is interested, please contact Greg or Kathy as listed in the description. Please pass this information along to whoever may be interested or whoever should be informed of this wonderful opportunity to serve the Lord and His people in Rwanda.
UOB Home Office

Do you know an experienced, faith-motivated “Bank President” who is looking for more meaning and significance in life?  
We are searching for a new CEO for Urwego Opportunity Bank of Rwanda (UOB) – one of Africa’s most innovative and successful microfinance banks. UOB is a Kingdom enterprise that provides opportunities for those in poverty to transform their lives – economically, socially and spiritually. For the right candidate, this is an extraordinary opportunity to make a difference leading one of the premier institutions serving God’s beloved poor. 
Rwanda is one of the safest, most beautiful and progressive countries in Africa. To learn more, see UOB CEO Opportunity Profile. Please contact Greg Barnes (greg.barnes@halftimetalent.com) and/or Kathy Wright (kathy.wright@halftimetalent.com) at Halftime Talent Solutions.    
Please forward this email to all the qualified Commercial Bankers you know and to anyone else who might connect us to potential candidates. 

Group Photo after UOB Day July 2013
The first question people usually ask when they hear my departure from UOB is "What is your next plan?" So I respond below in advance.

"Kristin and I are still waiting for the Lord to speak to us. For now, I am focusing on finishing well with UOB until the last day and ensuring a smooth transition with my successor. There are still several major projects on our plate which need to be completed before my departure. After February next year, Lord's willing, we would like to take a break in 2014, hopefully pursuing to read, reflect, rest, re-energize and refocus. Yes, we have been hearing opportunities for ministry, but no, He has not spoken yet with clear conviction to us and we are still waiting. Moreover, we are not in a hurry."

I trust that the Lord has something in store for us. He has invested substantially in our lives and I know He will not let it go unused or underused for His Kingdom. He will reveal His will and plan to us in His time. I will let you know when that happens. Please pray with us and for us, when you remember. Thank you for your support! - Jeffrey


1 comment:

JLTan said...

"I trust that the Lord has something in store for us. He has invested substantially in our lives and I know He will not let it go unused or underused for His Kingdom. He will reveal His will and plan to us in His time."

I found my changes difficult last year, even though I knew deep down that what you said above is true. May you have an easier time with your transition. May God bless you.